The basic acoustics course that I teach is a Comprehensive Acoustic Training (a combination of hardware/techniques and analysis). A Bat Capture Techniques course is also offered every second year. Below I describe the 4 types of trainings.
There are basically 2 recording formats used to record/analyze bat calls: full spectrum and zero-cross. You can convert full spectrum into zero-cross, but you cannot convert the other direction. It doesn’t matter whether you are using zero-cross or full spectrum recording in these courses. Calls recorded by any bat detector — Anabat, Wildlife Acoustics detector, or other full spectrum bat detector – can be analyzed using the skills and software taught in the analysis component of these trainings.
COMPREHENSIVE ACOUSTIC TRAINING
This course is a well-rounded 5 day course that starts with the basics of bat acoustics and bat detector technology. It includes species identification with an overview of North American species, and through in-field practice, additional in-depth acoustic ID of species in whatever location the course is located (e.g., northwest region, northeast region, etc.).
The analysis component of this course includes practice of workflow patterns, starting with raw files, using autoidentification software, and then doing manual vetting. The end product is quick and easy pivot-tables and histogram creation in Excel for reporting.
This course will provide a foundation for those participating in the North American Bat Monitoring Program and will thus include a section on site selection and deployment instructions for passive stations and mobile transects. There will be an overview of all major types of bat detectors with focus on Wildlife Acoustics and Titley Scientific products. On several nights there will be hands-on practice in the field actively recording bats.
BAT CAPTURE TECHNIQUES
This 6 night, 7 day course provides instruction in the capture of bats for inventory. It includes hands on practice with mistnetting and radiotelemetry. Participants must show proof of rabies immunization.
Course location: Lillooet, B.C. where a large range of habitats in a small area make for an ideal environment to learn how to capture bats with mistnets and harp traps. Twelve species of bats are in the area, including spotted bats which are regularly captured.
This course was offered in 2017 and will be offered again in 2019.
Unless otherwise stated, contact Cori Lausen or Heather Gates (email@example.com) for details regarding any of the courses listed below.
All prices are in USD unless otherwise stated. Group and student discounts are available for most courses. Meals may be included in some courses, as stipulated.
2019 (Subject to change. Links to registration pages will be added as they become available.)
- 17-21 June – Thunder Bay, ON, Canada – Comprehensive Acoustic Training
- 8-12 July 2019 – Saskatoon, SK, Canada – Comprehensive Acoustic Training. Registration is available here
- 29 July – 3 Aug – Lillooet, BC, Canada – Bat Capture Techniques
- 7-11 May 2018 – Vancouver, BC, Canada – Comprehensive Acoustic Training
- 4-8 June 2018 – Edmonton, AB, Canada – Comprehensive Acoustic Training
- 5-7 April 2017 – Phoenix, AZ; Wildlife Acoustics Training
- 18-20 May 2017 – Maynard, MA; Wildlife Acoustics Training
- 29 May-3 June 2017 – London, ON, Canada; Techniques and Analysis
- 12-16 June 2017 – Spokane, WA; Comprehensive Acoustics Training
- 31 July – 4 Aug 2017 – Lethbridge, AB, Canada; Comprehensive Acoustics Training
- 20-26 July – Lillooet, BC, Canada; Bat Capture Techniques
- 31 July – 4 Aug 2017 – Lethbridge, AB, Canada; Comprehensive Acoustics Course
- 15-20 May 2016; Creston, BC–Comprehensive Acoustics Training – Wildlife Acoustics and Anabat
- 24-27 May 2016; Point Pelee National Park, ON–Techniques and Hardware
- 27-29 May 2016; Point Pelee National Park, ON–Analysis
- 10-12 February; Miami, Florida–Wildlife Acoustics Techniques & Hardware
- 26 February-3 March; St. Louis, Missouri–Comprehensive Acoustics Training
– Wildlife Acoustics & Anabat
- 14-16 April; Phoenix, Arizona–Wildlife Acoustics Techniques & Hardware
- 11-15 May; Hinton, Alberta–Comprehensive Acoustics Training
– Wildlife Acoustics & Anabat
- 17-19 June; Mattawa, Ontario–Wildlife Acoustics Training
- 21-23 April; Phoenix, Arizona–Wildlife Acoustic Techniques & Hardware
- 24-26 April; Phoenix, Arizona–Acoustic Analysis
- 6-9 May; Connersville, Indiana–Anabat Techniques
- 9-11 May; Connersville, Indiana–Acoustic Analysis
- 20-24 May; Radium, BC, Canada–Anabat Condensed Course
- 3-5 June; Maynard, Massachusetts–Wildlife Acoustics Course
- 9-12 June; Boise, Idaho–Acoustic Techniques & Hardware
–Wildlife Acoustics & Anabat
- 12-14 June; Boise, Idaho–Acoustic Analysis
- 19-22 August; Columbia, Missouri–Anabat Techniques
- 22-24 August; Columbia, Missouri–Acoustic Analysis
- 21-24 May; Calgary, Alberta–Acoustic Techniques
- 24-26 May; Calgary, Alberta–Acoustic Analysis
- 6-9 May; Akron, Ohio–Anabat Techniques
- 9-11 May; Akron, Ohio–Acoustic Analysis
- 2-4 May; Unicoi State Park, Georgia–Acoustic Analysis
- 29 April-2 May; Unicoi State Park, Georgia–Anabat Techniques
- 4-6 April; Santa Fe, New Mexico–Wildlife Acoustics Course
- 5-7 March; Mammoth Cave Park, Kentucky–Wildlife Acoustics Course
- 30 January-1 February; Santa Cruz, Calif–Wildlife Acoustics Course
- 1 June-3 June; Stanley Park, Vancouver, B.C.–AnalookW Analysis
- 29 May-1 June; Stanley Park, Vancouver, B.C.–Anabat Techniques
- 15 May-18 May; Forest, Mississippi–Anabat Techniques
- 9-11 May; Boston, Massachusetts–Wildlife Acoustics Course
- 1-5 May; Charleston, West Virginia–AnalookW Analysis
- 30 April-3 May; Charleston, West Virginia–Anabat Techniques
- 3-4 April; Denver, Colorado–Wildlife Acoustics
- 27-29 September; Edmonton, AB, Canada–AnalookW Analysis
- 27-30 June; Brazil, Indiana–Anabat Techniques
- 21-24 June; Boise, Idaho–Anabat Techniques
- 30 May-2 June; Creston, B.C. Canada–Anabat Techniques
- 10-14 April; Desert Studies Center, Baker CA–Anabat Techniques
- 18-21 April; Falling Creek Falls State Park, Pikeville TN–Anabat Techniques
- 1-3 March; Akron, Ohio–AnalookW Analysis
- 18-21, January; Sacramento, California–AnalookW Analysis
- 19-22 October; Las Vegas, Nevada–Analysis
- 8-11 June; Casper, Wyoming–Techniques
- 27-30 April; Warsaw, Illinois–Techniques